Monday, September 04, 2006

My 1969 Convertible

My passion for the Pontiac GTO started when I was about 13 years old. I clearly remember walking down my street in Hamilton, when I caught sight of this sleek car coming down the street. It had the lines of a great white shark, as it slowly made it's way down the street. The purr coming from under the hood denoted power - the deep, throaty growl that Pontiacs are noted for.



So, this silver beast slowly made it's way down the street - and to my surprise stopped in front of me! Inside was my uncle, sporting a smile from ear to ear. I've never forgotten that time, nor any of the times that we went for cruises. This was a car that you didn't have to race. Just sitting at the stoplight was a treat. The engine pulling causing it to shake like a racehorse at the gate, anticipating release...



Well after a number of years, I have taken possession of this family heirloom. I have restored the entire shell of the car to the original condition. Some of the internal engine components have been beefed up though - let's just leave it at that. Restoration was not that bad. This car was purchased in Cambridge, Ontario - and driven in Canadian winters for a good number of years. For about 13-15 years before I took it on however, it had been sitting in my uncle's implement shed on the farm. Years of dust, mouse and bird droppings, and more needed to be removed.












So, here you see it as it stands today. It took a first place in it's class in 2000 at the Woodward Tiger's GTO show in the United States. There are about 300 cars that showed at this event, so I was quite honoured. The following year I was invited to the winners circle, as shown in the pictures with the jet aircraft.






While that was a very special win for me, my true pleasure with this car comes in driving it. After almost 40 years on the road, it will still compete with today's cars in terms of looks, and power. Gas mileage may be another story however...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home